Rules and Policies
All guidelines and forms herein are necessary to attend Florida State DanceSport Championship.
Please see Registration and Download…Section to download complete copy of this document.
Dance Events Guidelines
Pro / Am and Amateur Dance Events
Participants may enter separate levels per the four dance styles (Smooth, Rhythm, International Ballroom, and Latin). Further, they may enter the following in two age categories:
1. Three consecutively Closed Freestyles Examples:
- Beginner, Preliminary, Intermediate – OR – Preliminary, Intermediate & Full Bronze
- The only exception to this rule is that a Bronze Student dancing for the first time at each Triple Crown Event may enter the Newcomer, Beginner, Preliminary, Intermediate, and Full Bronze.
2. The Advanced Freestyles (Open)
3. The Open Freestyles (Open)
5. The Multi-Dance Championships (Open)
6. Closed Scholarships in Bronze & Silver, ages A-B-C
7. Closed Bronze & Closed Silver Scholarships
8. 9 Dance Championships (no age & no level)
9. 10 Dance Championships (no age & no level)
10. The Triple Crown Scholarship Challenges (Open)
Judging – Impression judging shall be used by adjudicators to evaluate performances. The final results shall be determined using the Skating System.
• Bronze Footwork
Participants must use closed footwork in all Bronze smooth dances. Continuity
styling will not be permitted.
• Styling and Figures
Penalty points will be assessed to American style performances should they
contain International styling or figures.
Participants in closed International Latin and Ballroom events will be permitted
to dance only ISTD figures per their respective category.
Open footwork will be permitted in the Advanced Freestyles as it already
applies to the Open Freestyles.
Participants may include lifts in only the Theatre Arts Cabaret, Theatrical
Ballroom and Showdance events. Only 3 lifts allowed in Showdance.
A time of two and one half minutes shall be placed on the length of exhibitions, showcases, formations, and theatre arts. Routines in excess of this limit will result in penalties and additional entry fees. Note, please provide music on CD or cassette tape and cued.